API Documentation Template¶
Use this file (docs/api-reference/template.rst) as a template to document API.
Change the file name to the name of the header file that represents documented API.
Include respective files with descriptions from the API folder using
Optionally provide description right in this file.
Once done, remove all instructions like this one and any superfluous headers.
Provide overview where and how this API may be used.
Where applicable include code snippets to illustrate functionality of particular functions.
To distinguish between sections, use the following heading levels:
#with overline, for parts
*with overline, for chapters
=, for sections
-, for subsections
^, for subsubsections
", for paragraphs
- Prepare one or more practical examples to demonstrate functionality of this API.
- Each example should follow pattern of projects located in
- Place example in this folder complete with
- Provide overview of demonstrated functionality in
- With good overview reader should be able to understand what example does without opening the source code.
- Depending on complexity of example, break down description of code into parts and provide overview of functionality of each part.
- Include flow diagram and screenshots of application output if applicable.
- Finally add in this section synopsis of each example together with link to respective folder in
This repository provides for automatic update of API reference documentation using code markup retrieved by Doxygen from header files.
Each line of the
INPUTstatement (other than a comment that begins with
##) contains a path to header file
*.hthat will be used to generate corresponding
## ## Wi-Fi - API Reference ## ../components/esp32/include/esp_wifi.h \ ../components/esp32/include/esp_smartconfig.h \
*.incfiles contain formatted reference of API members generated automatically on each documentation build. All
*.incfiles are placed in Sphinx
_builddirectory. To see directives generated for e.g.
python gen-dxd.py esp32/include/esp_wifi.h.
To show contents of
*.incfile in documentation, include it as follows:
.. include:: /_build/inc/esp_wifi.inc
For example see docs/api-reference/wifi/esp_wifi.rst
Optionally, rather that using
*.incfiles, you may want to describe API in you own way. See docs/api-reference/system/deep_sleep.rst for example.
Below is the list of common
- Functions -
.. doxygenfunction:: name_of_function
- Unions -
.. doxygenunion:: name_of_union
- Structures -
.. doxygenstruct:: name_of_structuretogether with
- Macros -
.. doxygendefine:: name_of_define
- Type Definitions -
.. doxygentypedef:: name_of_type
- Enumerations -
.. doxygenenum:: name_of_enumeration
See Breathe documentation for additional information.
To provide a link to header file, use the link custom role as follows:
- Functions -
In any case, to generate API reference, the file docs/Doxyfile should be updated with paths to
*.hheaders that are being documented.
When changes are committed and documentation is build, check how this section has been rendered. Correct annotations in respective header files, if required.